Frequently Asked Questions - Residency or Fellowship Program

Q: Where is Burlington, Massachusetts?

A: Burlington is located 12 miles northwest of Boston, Massachusetts. 

Q: How do I apply to a residency or fellowship program at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center?

A: Please refer to specific residency or fellowship program pages for program-specific application instructions.

Some specialties use the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS) and do not accept the universal application or paper inquiries of any kind; these programs currently include Anesthesiology, Internal Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, and General Surgery.

Q: What are the requirements for graduates of international medical schools?

A: You must have passed USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 in order to be eligible for a medical license in Massachusetts.

You must have a currently valid ECFMG certificate.

You must be eligible for a J1 visa issued by ECFMG.

Some programs require that you have previous training in the United States or three letters of recommendation from US clinical rotations; please check with the specialty in which you are interested for their residency or fellowship program requirements.

The Internal Medicine Residency Program requires three letters of recommendation from US clinical rotations.

Q: What types of visas does Lahey Hospital & Medical Center offer graduates of international medical schools?

A: Lahey Hospital & Medical Center does not sponsor residents or fellows for H1 visas.

Lahey Hospital & Medical Center will work with ECFMG to assist you in obtaining a J1 exchange visitor visa for the duration of your training in an ACGME-accredited residency or fellowship training program.

The Massachusetts Board of Registration in Medicine requires that international medical school graduates pass USMLE Steps 1 and 2 to enter a training program in Massachusetts. It is your responsibility to make sure you meet this license eligibility requirement.

Learn more about the Board of Registration in Medicine policy.