Lahey Clinic Major Donor Recognition Societies

Recognition Society  Description 

1923 Society

Induction by special appointment only.

Lahey Clinic was founded in 1923. Induction into the Lahey Clinic 1923 Society honors the exemplary dedication of select individuals and organizations that have made extraordinary contributions of service and resources to further the mission of Lahey. Fellows of the 1923 Society continuously help re-found the Clinic through their vision and investment. 

Dr. Frank Lahey Society

Cumulative giving totals of $1 million or more

Francis ("Frank") Howard Lahey, MD, (1880-1953) was on the surgical faculty of both Harvard Medical School and Tufts University School of Medicine. Regarded as one of America's greatest teachers of surgery, Lahey pioneered in New England the concept of a multispecialty group practice using a team approach of coordinated medical care. 

Dr. Lincoln Sise Society

Cumulative giving totals of $500,000 to $999,999

Dr. Sise was one of the first doctors who joined Dr. Lahey. He shared Lahey's belief that surgery should be performed as a team and that anesthesia was as important to an operation as the surgical procedure itself. Dr. Sise spent his life improving and pioneering anesthesia techniques. He also served as president of the New England Society of Anesthesiologists.

Dr. Sara Jordan Society

Cumulative giving totals $250,000 to $499,999

As one of the founding physicians, Dr. Jordan worked side-by-side with Dr. Lahey. She became chair of the Department of Gastroenterology and an internationally recognized authority on stomach and intestinal disturbances. Dr. Jordan was the first female member and president of the American Gastroenterological Association. She taught generations of young doctors the value of personal care.

Dr. Richard Cattell Society

Cumulative giving totals of $100,000 to $249,999

Richard B. Cattell, MD, (1900-1964) was a leading surgeon who became the Clinic's first director following Lahey's death in 1953. He developed innovative procedures for pancreatic and bile duct surgery. Dr. Cattell served as director of Lahey Clinic from 1953 to 1962.

Dr. Herbert Adams Society

Cumulative giving totals of $50,000 to $99,999

Dr. Adams received his medical degree from Harvard Medical School in 1929 and joined Lahey Clinic in 1936. As a distinguished general and thoracic surgeon, he was a founder and member of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery. Dr. Adams became Lahey's third director. Under his leadership, the Clinic was transformed into a nonprofit medical center.