Gifts of securities (individual stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares) can benefit both you and Lahey. A gift of securities can lower your income taxes and avoid capital gains taxation, thus increasing the efficiency of your gift.
When you donate long-term appreciated securities to Lahey, you can
- Avoid capital gains taxes.
- Claim the full value of the gift as a charitable deduction.
- Make a larger gift than if you first sold the securities and then gave the net proceeds.
- Support superb health care for your family, friends, and community.
And if your securities have depreciated in value?
- Depreciated securities are those whose value today is actually lower than the original purchase price.
- Sell the stock and give the cash proceeds to Lahey.
- Enjoy two deductions, one for the capital loss and the other for the charitable gift.
- Note: Your depreciated stock should not be given directly to the Clinic, as you will not be able to take a deduction for the capital loss.
For assistance in making an outright gift of securities (individual stocks, bonds or mutual fund shares) for immediate use, please contact the Lahey Philanthropy Office, 781-744-3333.
For further information about making a gift of securities to fund a deferred gift instrument, such as a charitable gift annuity, charitable remainder annuity trust or unitrust, or a pooled income fund, please visit our Gift Planning web page.