At the Lahey Health Cancer Institute (LHCI), we understand the many emotions surrounding a cancer diagnosis and the need for chemotherapy. We also know that you will likely have questions and concerns during your treatment and beyond.
An Innovative Approach to Chemotherapy Support
Our chemotherapy cancer care reflects the Oncology Care Model (OCM) designed by the U.S. Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services. We are so enthusiastic about this new system of care that we provide it for all of our chemotherapy patients, not just those with Medicare.
What This Means For You
You will receive a number that you can call at any time, day or night, if you have any questions at all about your care.
We also will want you to call us as soon as you start to feel sick or experience any treatment-related symptoms, instead of waiting to see if it gets worse. Waiting can often delay the delivery of time-sensitive care and can result in a hospital admission.
Resources and Support
As you undergo chemotherapy, there may be times when you’ll need additional support services. We offer you resources and support including:
- 24/7 access to providers who have real-time access to your medical records
- A detailed care plan that includes your treatment goals, any out-of-pocket expenses you may have, and a survivorship plan provided at the end of your treatment
- A patient portal allowing you, and your designated caregivers, 24/7 access to your medical record
- Assistance with coordinating care, such as appointments, radiology scans, forms, and more
- Staff trained and ready to assist you with answering questions
- A single phone number to call for symptom management and advice any time day or night
- Access to leading-edge clinical trials
Care That Goes Beyond Chemotherapy
As part of our cancer care, we also offer the following services if you need them:
- Advance Care Planning to ensure that the care you receive is based on your decisions, personal values, preferences, and discussions with your loved ones. We have staff trained and ready to assist you with exploring options, answering questions, completing essential documents, and designating your Health Care Agent.
- Psychosocial Health to ensure you are receiving the emotional support you may need for concerns associated with depression or distress.
- My Lahey Chart, an online patient portal that allows you, and your designated caregivers, online access to your medical record – including laboratory results, radiology results, appointment schedules, and more.
Oncology Care Model
The Lahey Health Cancer Institute is the only health care system in the Boston area chosen to participate in the Oncology Care Model, designed by the U.S. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS). As part of this model, LHCI reports directly to CMS on the quality of care we provide to our patients, including information on communications and care coordination, patient and caregiver experience, and outcomes and processes of care for prostate, breast, and colon cancer patients.