The Lahey Health Cancer Institute (LHCI) was formed to meet the needs of people with cancer by providing convenient, accessible care and focusing on clinical excellence, a personal touch, and patient engagement in care planning, while also controlling costs.
About the Lahey Health Cancer Institute
The Lahey Health Cancer Institute (LHCI) was established with the goals of:
- Implementing a cancer institute model throughout the existing and expanding Lahey Health system
- Adopting a disease-specific multidisciplinary model of care
- Clinically standardizing cancer care across all Lahey Health entities
- Developing a National Cancer Institute (NCI) designated cancer center affiliation
- Formalizing a cancer network strategy and research program
Working as a Team
LHCI uses a multidisciplinary, or a team, approach as its foundation for delivering cancer services.
- Clinicians treating the same patient readily consult one another, review test results, and work in partnership on treatment plans.
- Regular tumor conferences are held to exchange information on complex and common diagnoses, and then, together, doctors plan the best therapies for patients.
- Cancer therapies are designed using the most advanced treatments, research, clinical trials, and support resources.
Treating the whole patient by understanding the emotional and physical effects of cancer is central to Lahey Health’s model of care.
Putting the Patient First
The structure of the Lahey Health Cancer Institute ensures that people with cancer receive the same high-quality care regardless of location. Toward that end, we have organized teams across the Lahey Health system by disease site. These teams lead the standardization of our care and monitor our clinical quality performance.
The Renowned Lahey Health System
The Lahey Health Cancer Institute is part of the Lahey Health system, located throughout northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire and comprised of:
- Nationally recognized, award-winning hospitals (including an academic hospital and medical center and community hospitals)
- Primary care providers and specialist physicians
- Behavioral health services
- Post-acute programs such as home health services, skilled nursing, and rehabilitation facilities
- Senior care resources
- Addison Gilbert Hospital, Gloucester, MA
- Beverly Hospital, Beverly, MA
- Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, Burlington, MA
- Lahey Medical Center, Peabody, MA
- Winchester Hospital, Winchester, MA
LHCI Affiliate Members:
- Parkland Medical Center, Derry, NH & Salem, NH
- St. Joseph’s Hospital, Nashua, NH
- Portsmouth Regional Medical Center, Portsmouth, NH
In addition to our New England programs, Lahey Health provides cancer support to residents of Bermuda. Approximately 40% of all the cancer diagnoses in Bermuda are treated by Lahey Health.
We are also starting cancer support programs in China and in St. Croix, Virgin Islands.