The doctor will ask about symptoms and past health. A physical exam will be done. Metabolic syndrome is defined as 3 of the 5 listed below:
- Fasting triglycerides–A certain kind of fat found in the blood. Higher than normal is 150 mg/dL (1.6 mmol/L) or higher
- Fasting blood glucose—This means 100 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L) or higher (or HbA1C 5.7-6.4%).
- Blood pressure—Higher than normal is defined as a reading 130/85 mm Hg or more.
- Extra fat around the waist or belly. It is defined as:
- Waist size 40 inches (102 cm) or more in men (may differ with ethnic background or size)
- Waist size 35 inches (89 cm) or more in women (may differ with ethnic background or size)
- Fasting HDL cholesterol—HDL is called good cholesterol. It breaks down and removes
bad cholesterol from the body. It is defined as:
- Less than 40 mg/dL (1.0 mmol/L) in men
- Less than 50 mg/dL (1.3 mmol/L) in women
Tests Done In a Doctor's Office
- Measure the waist around the hips and belly button
- Blood pressure
A fasting test means not eating after dinner the night before. In the morning, blood will be taken for:
- Glucose levels
- Total cholesterol
- LDL cholesterol—bad cholesterol
- HDL cholesterol—good cholesterol
Metabolic syndrome in adults. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/condition/metabolic-syndrome-in-adults. Accessed April 11, 2022.
Metabolic syndrome. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: https://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/nutritional-disorders/obesity-and-the-metabolic-syndrome/metabolic-syndrome. April 11, 2022.
Metabolic syndrome. National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute website. Available at: https://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/metabolic-syndrome. Accessed April 11, 2022.
Symptoms and diagnosis of metabolic syndrome. American Heart Association website. Available at: https://www.heart.org/en/health-topics/metabolic-syndrome/symptoms-and-diagnosis-of-metabolic-syndrome. Accessed April 11, 2022.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Update Date: 04/11/2022