A rib fracture is a break in a rib bone.
|Multiple Rib Fractures with Damage to Lung|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Some causes are:
- A direct blow to the rib, such as from a motor vehicle accident or contact sports
- Repetitive trauma from sports such as rowing and golfing
- Crushing of the chest, such as from having cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
- Severe coughing
Things that may raise the risk of rib fracture are:
- Playing contact sports
- Doing activities with repetitive upper body movement, such as rowing, golf, and some jobs
- Having a chronic cough
Symptoms may be:
- Pain, often when breathing or coughing
- Swelling and bruising
- Problems breathing
The doctor will ask about your symptoms and health history. You will also be asked how the injury happened. An exam will be done that focuses on your chest, lungs, and back.
Images will be taken of your chest. This can be done with:
It can take 3 to 6 weeks for a rib fracture to heal. The goals of treatment are to manage pain and support the bone as it heals. Options may be:
- Medicine to ease swelling and pain
- A chest binder to keep the bone in place it heals
- Exercises to help with muscle strength and range of motion will be needed.
Most fractures are due to accidents. To lower the risk:
- Wear a seat belt when you are in a motor vehicle.
- Wear protective equipment, such as rib pads, when playing contact sports.
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians https://familydoctor.org
Ortho Info—American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://www.orthoinfo.org
The Canadian Society of Plastic Surgeons http://www.plasticsurgery.ca
The College of Family Physicians of Canada http://www.cfpc.ca
Broken or bruised ribs. NHS Choices website. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/rib-injuries/Pages/Introduction.aspx. Updated December 15, 2017. Accessed September 30, 2019.
Murphy CE 4th, Raja AS, et al. Rib Fracture Diagnosis in the Panscan Era. Ann Emerg Med. 2017 Dec;70(6):904-909.
Rib fracture—emergency management. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://www.dynamed.com/management/rib-fracture-emergency-management . Accessed September 30, 2019.
Rib fracture. Merck Manual Professional Version website. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries-poisoning/thoracic-trauma/rib-fracture. Updated November 2018. Accessed September 30, 2019.
- Reviewer: EBSCO Medical Review Board Warren A. Bodine, DO, CAQSM
- Review Date: 09/2019
- Update Date: 09/08/2020