About Our Hospital
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center (LHMC), each one of our patients receives a personalized treatment plan, unique to their medical needs and risk factors. We combine advanced technology, research and medical education to provide the best care possible. At LHMC, you benefit from specialty resources at our medical centers and top-quality primary care services at community-based practices throughout northeastern Massachusetts.
- Our Burlington location serves more than 3,000 patients per day through our 334 inpatient hospital beds, our ambulatory care center, 24-hour emergency department and American College of Surgeons verified Level I Trauma Center.
- Our Peabody location includes a 24-hour emergency department and a 10-bed hospital. We serve more than 800 outpatients per day at this facility.
LHMC is part of Beth Israel Lahey Health, a health care system that brings together academic medical centers and teaching hospitals, community and specialty hospitals, and more than 4,000 physicians and 35,000 employees in a shared mission to expand access to great care and advance the science and practice of medicine through groundbreaking research and education.
In 1923, Frank Lahey, MD, founded the group practice that would become Lahey Hospital & Medical Center. Since our first days as the Lahey Clinic, our mission has stayed the same: To coordinate all our patients’ needs under one roof.
Today, as a physician-led, nonprofit group practice, Lahey continues to put patients first. We have more than 600 physicians and advanced practitioners, and 5,000 nurses, therapists and other support staff working together. Our patients have access to a variety of specialists dedicated to compassionate care and service in one hospital.
In 2022, Lahey Hospital & Medical Center has earned national recognition for its commitment to providing high-quality stroke care and was awarded with an ‘A’ Leapfrog Hospital Safety Grade. In 2021, LHMC received a Top Quality and Safety Rating from the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
Additional recognitions include:
- American College of Cardiology Cardiac Cath Lab Accreditation and Electrophysiology Accreditation (2019)
- American Orthopaedic Association’s Own the Bone Star Performer (2021, 2020)
- Becker’s Hospital Review Top 100 Hospital (2020)
- Healthgrades America’s 50 Best Hospitals Award Winner (2022, 2021, 2020)
- Merative/IBM Watson Health 50 Top Cardiovascular Hospital Winner (2019)
- U.S. News & World Report Best Hospital (2021, 2020)
- In the categories of Colon Cancer Surgery, COPD, Diabetes and Endocrinology, Gastroenterology and Gastrointestinal Surgery, Geriatrics, Heart Bypass Surgery, Heart Failure, Hip Replacement, Nephrology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Pulmonology, Urology
- Ranked #4 in the Boston metropolitan area and Massachusetts
- Women’s Choice Award Best Hospital Winner (2021, 2020)
- In the categories of Bariatric Surgery, Breast Center, Cancer Care, Heart Care, Orthopedics, Patient Experience, Stroke Center
Our Landsman Heart & Vascular Center is one of the largest cardiovascular treatment centers in the region. Through partnerships with other local hospitals, Lahey physicians are providing New England communities with expertise in advanced cardiology services such as angioplasty and electrophysiology. We are also helping to train other physicians throughout the community to advance heart and vascular care.
Our Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Center has been recognized by the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association (HCMA) as an international HCM Center of Excellence, and offers leading-edge medical and surgical treatments that relieve symptoms of HCM, the most common form of genetic heart disease.
Our IBD Care Center provides expert surgical and medical care of inflammatory bowel disease, with an experienced team that has experience treating a variety of types of IBD. We are one of the few medical centers in the area that can specifically treat severe inflammatory bowel disease while offering a large number of treatment options, including medicine and surgery.
Our Neurology department takes pride in providing top-notch clinical care for all patients with neurological disorders. Our Cerebrovascular Disease Center is among the most advanced in the region for the treatment of strokes and brain aneurysms.
The Jean Cunningham Department of Nursing staff provide outstanding patient care with leading-edge medicine, compassion and integrity. Our nurses are consistently recognized by our patients and their families as well as their own colleagues for their dedication and commitment to excellence.
Our liver transplantation team was the first in New England to perform adult living-donor transplant procedures. And today, our surgeons use advanced technology to perform minimally invasive surgery to reduce recovery time for treatment of conditions such as kidney disease and bladder cancer.
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is a teaching hospital for Tufts University School of Medicine. Many of our physicians also hold teaching assignments at Harvard Medical School and Boston University School of Medicine. We maintain residency programs and fellowship programs for more than 130 new physicians in multiple subspecialties.
As a research center, we are involved in more than 300 clinical trial protocols and participate in numerous national and international studies. As a LHMC patient, you have access to clinical trials and new therapies for diseases such as cancer, diabetes, heart disease and cataracts.
To learn more about Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, explore the links below: