Living with pain changes the way in which we live, work and view life. It interferes with almost every aspect of one’s life, making proper diagnosis and treatment essential. Most times, there is absolutely no purpose for the chronic pain that is torturing you and your loved ones.
At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center’s Interventional Pain Management Center, we take the time to fully investigate and understand the cause of an individual’s pain, to treat the pain, and to find the best approach to managing it. It is our mission to alleviate and manage all discomforting pains as much as possible to improve the patient’s overall quality of life.
Diagnosing Your Pain
When you first visit the Interventional Pain Management Center, you will undergo an evaluation involving a review of your medical history and a physical examination. Physicians will then perform a comprehensive evaluation to better understand the source of your pain.
Conditions Evaluated and Treated
- Abdominal pain, chronic
- Acute herpes zoster, shingles
- Atypical facial pain/trigeminal neuralgia
- Cancer pain, focal or generalized
- Chest wall pain, acute and chronic
- Diabetic and systemic neuropathy
- Lower back pain, acute and chronic
- Myofascial pain syndromes
- Neck pain, acute and chronic
- Pelvic pain, chronic
- Pain associated with surgical incisions
- Peripheral entrapment neuropathies/neuromas
- Peripheral vascular insufficiency/ischemic pain
- Post-herpetic neuralgia
- Post-laminectomy syndromes/arachnoiditis
- Post-stroke and central pain syndromes
- Raynaud’s syndrome
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy/complex regional pain syndrome (CRPS)
- Rib fractures
- Spinal cord injury pain syndromes
- Stump and phantom limb pain
- Sympathetically mediated pain
After reviewing a patient’s chart and identifying the problem, we will be able to initiate a course of diagnosis and treatment specific to the individual. The Interventional Pain Management Center offers patients the latest diagnostic and therapeutic modalities.
Pain Management Techniques
- Botox injections
- Chemical neurolysis
- Epidural steroid injections
- Infusion pump implants (e.g., baclofen)
- Nerve blocks
- Radiofrequency ablation
- Spinal cord stimulation
- Spinal injections
- Trigger joint injections
Multidisciplinary Approach to Pain Management
The Pain Management Center is staffed by anesthesiologists who are specialists in the latest in pain diagnosis, treatment and management. They have completed fellowships and are board-certified in pain management. When appropriate, staff work in close association with specialists in a number of different medical fields. This integrated approach ensures a comprehensive evaluation and treatment plan for each patient.
Specialists Working with Pain Management Physicians
- Occupational therapists
- Orthopaedic surgeons
- Physical therapists
- Primary care physicians
The Interventional Pain Management Center only accepts patients who are referred by a health care provider. Most insurances cover our services. We will gladly confirm this with your insurance carrier at the time of your appointment.