The cardiologists at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center (LHMC) are skilled in diagnosing and treating advanced heart failure, a condition in which the heart is no longer able to pump enough blood to meet the demands of the body’s vital organs. We offer a broad spectrum of treatments and services to treat heart failure.
Our advanced heart failure team is experienced in the diagnosis and treatment of all types of heart failure and can determine the specialized heart tests you need.
We offer specialized tests for heart failure or cardiomyopathy, including:
- Echocardiogram (cardiac ultrasound)
- Cardiac MRI
- Radionuclide (“nuclear”) imaging, including PET scans and TTR amyloid scans
- Advanced stress testing with imaging
- Cardiopulmonary exercise testing with metabolic analysis
- Cardiac catheterization and coronary angiogram
- Right heart catheterization and pulmonary hypertension testing
- Endomyocardial cardiac biopsy
- Advanced electrophysiology testing for arrhythmias
- Fat pad biopsy for amyloidosis
Special Treatment Programs
At LHMC, we have specialized programs to treat the following conditions related to heart failure:
Other Treatments and Services
Disease Management at the Lahey Heart Failure Clinic
The Lahey Heart Failure Clinic provides medication adjustments, education, dietary supervision, emotional support and other consultations. Our advanced practitioners and pharmacists specialize in heart failure and work closely with board-certified advanced heart failure cardiologists.
Our goals are to increase patients’ functional capacity, their sense of well-being and to reduce readmissions for heart failure.
The Heart Failure Clinic services include:
- Evaluations by a cardiac advanced practitioner specializing in heart failure management
- Multidisciplinary team approach to meet each patient’s unique needs
- Personalized pharmacologic treatments
- Intensive education about heart failure, proper diet and exercise
Heart Failure Pharmacotherapy Clinic
A pharmacist specializing in heart failure medical therapy will meet with patients to help adjust dosages of medications and monitor for side effects.
Cardiovascular Genetics Program
Some heart failure is related to a genetic disease, Dr. Usman Tahir is a cardiovascular geneticist who can provide genetic counseling and testing for patients and their family members.
Cardiac Resynchronization Therapy (CRT)
Some patients may benefit from the insertion of special (biventricular) pacemakers to improve their symptoms and exercise tolerance. LHMC has been a leading center in this treatment in the region.
The CardioMEMS sensor is an implantable device that remotely monitors the pulmonary artery pressure and provides this information to heart failure clinicians on a daily basis. The implant procedure is done as a same-day outpatient procedure.
Heart Transplantation and Left Ventricular Assist Devices (LVAD)
We offer evaluation for both heart transplantation and left ventricular assist devices (LVAD) for patients with severe heart failure who meet the established eligibility criteria. If transplantation or LVAD is considered appropriate, we will coordinate the referral to an appropriate center. Following surgery and recovery, our patients may still receive the majority of their testing and care at LHMC.