Excellence in Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Care Is at Lahey
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center’s Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) Center offers leading-edge medical and surgical treatments that relieve symptoms of HCM, the most common form of genetic heart disease. These advanced treatments can also lead to extended longevity and allow most patients to experience the best possible outcomes with improved quality of their day-to-day lives.
Lahey’s HCM cardiologists — Drs. Martin S. Maron, Barry J. Maron, and Ethan J. Rowin — are world-renowned leaders with more than 75 years of combined clinical experience in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. They are independently and generally regarded as the most knowledgeable HCM cardiologists and were recently ranked by Expertscape as the #1, #2, and #4 HCM experts worldwide.
Recognized by the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association (HCMA) as an international HCM Center of Excellence, Lahey’s HCM program is among the few medical and surgical HCM programs in the nation.
Our Principles of Medical/Surgical HCM Practice
- Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is:
- A diverse disease easily diagnosed with imaging (echocardiography / MRI)
- Now a treatable disease with low mortality (0.5% per year)
- Compatible in most patients with normal (or even extended) longevity
- Modern HCM treatments can reverse heart failure (surgery/alcohol ablation), prevent sudden death (defibrillators) and stroke (anti-coagulants), and control arrhythmias (medications).
- New HCM medications will aid in control of symptoms and obstructed blood flow.
- Our cardiologists have a combined more than 75 years’ experience in evaluating and treating patients with HCM.
Expert Multidisciplinary HCM Care, Personalized and Tailored to the Individual Lahey Patient
Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy is a complex and diverse disease, and a new diagnosis can create anxiety. With HCM, one size does not fit all and what works for one patient may not work for another.
That is why we make our clinical decisions — including treatment innovations — with a personalized strategy that fits you based on your particular clinical pathway. We will communicate with you clearly, so you are empowered to make the most appropriate decisions with your cardiologist.
The multi-disciplinary Lahey HCM team brings together a combination of specialists who are prepared to collaboratively manage your care and provide the best outcome, from the following specialties:
- Contemporary Imaging (echocardiography / MRI)
- Cardiac Surgery (septal myectomy)
- Interventional Cardiology (alcohol septal ablation)
- Electrophysiology (implantable defibrillators / atrial fibrillation ablation)
- Advanced Heart Failure (heart transplant)
- Social Services
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Genetic Counseling
Everyone here at Lahey’s HCM Center is a member of your care team — from the cardiologists to your sonographer to the pharmacist. Our team’s patient-centered approach means we deliver the care and service you need, and the individual attention you deserve.
Our Dedicated State-of-the-Art HCM Center
Our Center provides HCM patients with access to world-class HCM physicians and dedicated care. Our state-of-the-art facility is comfortable, welcoming, and designed for your seamless care with amenities including:
- Ample parking available at no charge adjacent to the HCM Center
- On-site echocardiography imaging tests, including with exercise
- On-site electrophysiology consultation
- Family consultation rooms
- Easy 5-minute walk to the main Lahey Hospital & Medical Center for MRI testing and procedures
Our building boasts 4,000 square feet of dedicated HCM space, complete with a reception area, a patient and family consultation room, two patient exam rooms, imaging/testing rooms, and offices for our entire team, so we can effectively diagnose, educate, and treat you and your family in one place.
We are conveniently located on the Lahey Hospital & Medical Center campus in the 67 South Bedford Street building, Suite 302W, in Burlington, Massachusetts. Our center is off Route 95, near the Burlington Mall.