At Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, our Vascular medicine experts are a multidisciplinary team who are highly skilled in treating conditions affecting the blood vessels including the arterial, and venous systems.
Some of the conditions we treat include:
- Aortic aneurysms
- Carotid artery disease
- Deep vein thrombosis (DVT)
- Fibromuscular dysplasia
- Peripheral arterial disease (PAD)
- Pulmonary Embolism
- Renovascular disease
- Raynaud’s disease and vasospastic disorders
- Spontaneous Coronary Artery Dissection (SCAD)
- Varicose and spider veins
- Venous (vein) disease
- Venous ulcers
- Venous insufficiency
Vascular Medicine Tests and Treatments
- Vascular lab testing – these are non-invasive tests that assist with the diagnosis and surveillance of abdominal aortic aneurysms, peripheral arterial disease, carotid stenosis, and venous thrombosis and venous insufficiency
- Peripheral Angiography and Intervention – for patient who are suspected of having blockages in the arteries of the arms or legs, this testing is offered to help further diagnose and manage these conditions. Additionally, if found suitable, blockages may be treated with balloon angioplasty, atherectomy, or stenting.
- Carotid Stenting – in patients who are deemed too high risk for a carotid endarterectomy, carotid stenting is offered as an alternative treatment
- Sclerotherapy– for patients with symptomatic spider veins and varicose veins, this treatment is offered to help improve symptoms.
- Varicose Vein Ablation– for patients with severe varicose veins leading to significant symptoms, bleeding, ulcers or skin infection, this minimally invasive treatment may help alleviate severe symptoms.
- Venous stenting– in select patients with significant venous blockages, including May thurner syndrome, this treatment is offered to help improve symptoms
- Catheter Treatments for Pulmonary Embolism and Severe DVT: in patients with severe pulmonary embolism or extremity DVT, a team of experts are involved in the acute treatment and follow up of these patients.
Faculty within the Vascular medicine section are involved in national and international research endeavors including involvement in the BEST CLI trial which is comparing surgery versus endovascular treatment for critical limb ischemia, participation in the international GARFIELD registry of PE and DVT, as well as local registries regarding the tracking of IVC filter utilization.
Meet The Vascular Medicine Team
- Michael Levy, MD, MSc, Chief, Vascular Medicine
- Jana Montgomery, MD, MPH, Director, LHMC Anticoagulation Services
- Bartholomew Woods, MD
- Jessica Mintz, DO
- Tara Lech, DPh, Director, Cardiovascular and Anticoagulation Pharmacy Services
- Cynthia Johnson, NP
- Ann Pianka, NP – Manager, LHMC Anticoagulation Program