Expert Care in the Comfort of Your Own Home
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center’s Hospital at Home program gives you access to the same high-quality medical care you would receive in the hospital — in the comfort of your own home. Your care team is made up of doctors, nurses and other clinical experts who are committed to helping you get better. We safely transport you from the hospital and into your home. Through both technology and frequent in-home visits, you will receive high-quality medical care at all times.
Your Hospital at Home Care Plan Involves
- 24 hours-a-day, 7 days-a-week access to your care team
- A combination of in-person visits from a variety of care providers and telehealth visits with easy-to-use technology
- Easy-to-use equipment to check your vital signs
- Lab tests, IV therapies and mobile imaging like (X-rays and ultrasound) performed right in your home
- Educational materials to help you understand your care plan
- Consultations with specialists when needed to make sure you’re getting the best care possible
- Option for personalized meals delivered to your home
Benefits of Hospital at Home
- A care plan that is personalized to you
- Short-term, in-person care in the safety and comfort of your own home
- Video visits with your care team
- Collaboration with your primary care physician and/or specialists
- High rate of patient satisfaction
Meet the Team
Andres Solorza, MD
Hospital at Home
Paula Aufiero, MSN, RN
Director of Nursing
Hospital at Home
Susan Stempek, MBA, MMSc, PA-C
Hospital at Home
Frequently Asked Questions
Further information to help you make the best decision about your healthcare.
The Hospital at Home care team’s goal is to provide hospital-level care in the comfort of your home. Our services include many things you would find in a hospital: lab tests, IV therapies, and mobile imaging like (X-rays and ultrasounds). We also deliver medical equipment like shower chairs, grab bars, oxygen and hospital beds if you need it.
Hospital at Home is covered by many insurance plans. We will work with you to assess your individual plan to see if our program is covered.
Yes, we will work closely with your primary care physician upon admission and after discharge to ensure that your care is understood.
Your care team will include doctors, nurse practitioners, nurses, physician assistants and other health care professionals. The team may also include physical and occupational therapists as your needs require.
Our care team will admit you to the program and work with your hospital medicine teams or hospital emergency department to ensure seamless, coordinated care for you.
We will provide you with:
- A computer tablet for video visits between you and your care team
- A telephone that connects directly to your care team
- An emergency response bracelet to wear around your wrist
- Equipment to monitor your vital signs
- A backup power supply in case you lose power
Our staff will provide education and training to patients who enroll in the Hospital at Home program. Our staff will take the time to show you and your loved ones how to use the computer tablet, phone, emergency response bracelet and more until you are familiar and comfortable with the technology. We will also provide you with a technology guide as a reference tool.
We do our best to mimic in-person hospital conditions. Just as if you were in the hospital, we ask that you stay home throughout your care. Your care team will take your diagnosis and circumstances into account should you need to leave your home at any time.
We want to make sure you’re receiving the most comfortable, convenient care possible. At any time during your care, you may discuss your care and alternative care options. Our doctors will then help transition you to a different level of care that meets your needs.
Once you are discharged from the program, your care team will work with the rest of your healthcare team to ensure you receive the next level of appropriate care. We will remove our technology, including computer tablet, telephone, vitals sign monitoring equipment and backup power supply, from your home.