The Department of Neurosurgery at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is at the forefront of brain and spine surgery. Our highly trained and experienced neurosurgeons provide world-class, state-of-the-art, individualized care for a full range of conditions affecting the brain, spine and nervous system.
Lahey neurosurgeons employ the latest technical innovations and surgical techniques, including minimally invasive and navigated procedures, to achieve excellent outcomes. For example, our infection rate after spinal surgery is less than half of national averages.
Among our outstanding neurosurgeons is Dr. Carlos David, an internationally known expert in the field of aneurysm surgery and skull base surgery – and the only neurosurgeon in Massachusetts who performs cerebrovascular bypass surgery, a meticulous, innovative and lifesaving procedure. Dr. David has organized an international bypass registry to monitor the quality and outcomes of these complex procedures.
What sets Lahey apart from other academic medical centers is our commitment to treat each patient as if he or she were our only patient. We offer a truly personalized and collaborative approach in which individualized care plans for diagnosis, treatment and recovery are developed by teams of experts including neurosurgeons, neurologists, orthopedic specialists, otolaryngologists, pain management specialists and rehabilitation specialists.
Outstanding Neurosurgery Expertise
Lahey’s neurosurgeons have extensive subspecialty training and special expertise in a wide range of areas within neurosurgery. Our key areas of expertise include brain aneurysms and skull base tumors, minimally invasive spine surgery, and correction of spinal deformities.
Lahey has been nationally recognized as a Blue Cross Blue Shield Center of Distinction and an Optum Center of Excellence for spinal surgery. In addition, Becker’s Hospital Review has named Lahey to the 2015 edition of its list, “100 hospitals and health systems with great neurosurgery and spine programs.”
Dr. Carlos David, Dr. Zoher Ghogawala, and Dr. Subu Magge were honored as top-rated doctors in Neurosurgery by Boston Magazine’s 2015 list of “Top Docs” in Greater Boston.
Lahey’s neurosurgeons are highly experienced in minimally invasive spinal procedures; 50% of all spinal fusion surgeries at Lahey are performed using minimally invasive techniques.
Our computerized navigation system improves accuracy during spine surgery. We have had great success in performing minimally invasive procedures to correct spine deformities, including in older patients, leading to vast improvements in well-being.
Lahey is one of the only hospitals in the Boston area with a Spine Registry to track and publicly share our outcomes after spine surgery.
Neurosurgery Procedures at Lahey
Procedures performed by Lahey neurosurgeons include:
- Cerebrovascular, aneurysm and arteriovenous malformation surgery
- State-of-the-art treatment of brain tumors (acoustic neuromas, pituitary adenomas, meningiomas)
- Cerebral bypass surgery
- Complex spinal surgery
- Stereotactic biopsy
- Radiosurgery and interventional neuroradiology
- Deep brain stimulation techniques for Parkinson’s disease and tremor
- Epilepsy surgery
- Treatment for tic douloureux (a condition that causes severe pain on the side of the face)
Complementing our outstanding neurosurgical care are these clinic programs, where experts from various Lahey departments combine their skills and knowledge to offer comprehensive treatments for our patients:
- Brain Tumor Clinic to tailor our treatment to meet each patient’s needs
- Cerebrovascular Disease Center that is among the most advanced in the region for the treatment of strokes and brain aneurysms
- Clinical Center for Cranial Base Surgery to plan appropriate diagnosis and treatment and to restore patients to their full appearance and function after skull and brain surgery
- Spine Center to develop individualized care plans for each patient to help regain motion and relieve pain
For more information about the Department of Neurosurgery at Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, or to refer a patient, please call 781.744.7580.