- Personalized counseling about health and safety concerns in planned areas of travel
- Immunizations for adult and child travelers, based on specific destination(s)
- Guidance for emergency health care
- Medication and information to help deal with illness while overseas
- Assistance with special health-related travel needs, including counseling for pregnant women or individuals with allergies, chronic medical problems (e.g., cardiovascular disease, diabetes) or physical disabilities
- Group immunization clinics and medical counseling for travel groups, corporations and other organizations
- Up-to-date preventive information on mountain sickness, jet lag and diving
- Comprehensive preparation for missionaries or business people planning long-term residence overseas, including both the physical and psychological issues involved
- Telephone consultations from occupational physicians
Immunizations & Vaccinations
The Travel and Tropical Medicine Clinic offers a number of immunization and vaccinations, including those listed below. Based upon your travel destination(s), health care professionals in the Travel Clinic will be able to select the preventive treatment most appropriate for you.
- Haemophilus Influenza B
- Hepatitis A
- Hepatitis B
- Herpes zoster (shingles)
- Human papillomavirus (HPV)
- Immune globulin
- Japanese encephalitis
- Pertussis (whooping cough)
- Typhoid fever
- Yellow fever
Meeting the Needs of the Adventure Traveler
Trekking, mountaineering and diving trips to developing countries, in particular, require pre-planning and counseling about potential health and safety risks and ways to avoid them. Activities such as biking and trekking can often expose travelers to problems such as rabies and high altitude sickness, both of which can be prevented by vaccines and medications available through the Travel and Tropical Medicine Clinic. As an added advantage, adventure travelers have access to an on-call Travel Clinic physician, 24 hours a day, seven days per week.
Caring for the Corporate Traveler
The Travel and Tropical Medicine Clinic is prepared to meet the unique needs of the corporate traveler, who may often have to travel at short notice. Travelers requiring preparation for frequent, short trips receive comprehensive treatment. In addition, group appointments at the corporate site are available for consultation and some immunizations.
Out of town or overseas telephone consultations from occupational health physicians can be made available. In addition, corporate travelers have access to an on-call Travel Clinic physician, 24 hours a day, seven days per week. For less emergent health issues that arise while overseas, travelers can also e-mail our Travel Clinic physicians.
To make an appointment for an urgent visit (within 72 hours), please call the Travel and Tropical Medicine Clinic at 781-744-3874.