Organ transplantation is remarkable. It is lifesaving and life changing. It also is a highly technical, meticulous, sophisticated medical procedure that requires extraordinary skill and expertise. Your decision to choose Lahey Hospital & Medical Center for your liver or kidney transplant is a significant one.
Our Transplant Expertise
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center (LHMC) is a renowned leader in transplant medicine and surgery. Our program supports kidney and liver transplant patients who receive organs from both live and deceased donors.
Our transplant services stand apart:
- Our team has performed the greatest number of liver transplants in New England over the last three decades.
- We have the largest live donor liver transplant program in the U.S.
- One out of every 11 live liver transplants in the U.S. is performed at LHMC.
- Our transplant team performed the first successful liver transplant in New England in 1983.
- Our transplant team performed the first successful living donor liver transplant in New England (and 10th in the United States) in 1998.
- Our physicians have been involved in kidney transplantation since 1970.
Our Transplant Outcomes
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center has some of the best transplant outcomes in the United States, according to the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients.
Over the last decade, Lahey has had a very low wait list mortality rate despite having some of the sickest patients in the country. This is a measure of the excellent care we provide for each patient who comes through our doors.
Secrets to our success:
- Our superior outcomes are a product of our integrated, multidisciplinary pre- and post-operative care approach.
- We speed up the transplant process by using an innovative approach that leads to a higher probability of patients receiving a kidney transplant and a lower chance of patients dying while waiting for an organ.
- We are completely and exclusively focused on end-stage organ disease.
- We view families and caregivers of our transplant recipients as part of the Lahey team too. Our caring team offers education, encouragement, problem-solving and other support services to patients and their families.
Our Transplant Team
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center is proud to have the most experienced liver transplant team in New England. Together, our surgeons have completed the largest number of transplants and liver resections in the region and have well over 100 years of combined clinical experience. All members of the team are also experienced kidney transplant practitioners.
The expertise of our clinicians is matched by their true compassion. When a patient comes to us for a transplant, they don’t just “belong” to a single doctor. They benefit from a team approach focused on consultation and collaboration, on education and support, and on a continuity of care that is second to none.
- Our experienced core surgeons have been together for decades.
- Our transplant surgeons and physicians have been on Boston Magazine’s “Best of Boston” list for many years.
- All of our surgeons have been trained by renowned transplant pioneer Roger Jenkins, MD.
- We are located within Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, which makes it easy to leverage the resources of a wide variety of specialized teams located under one roof.
- Our team also includes experts in innovative radiology that provides three-dimensional organ images and allows for in-depth analysis of the anatomy, resulting in improved patient outcomes.