Lahey Hospital & Medical Center offers a one-year fellowship in bariatric surgery. The fellowship focuses on minimally invasive procedures, including a high volume of gastric bypasses, revisional surgery and duodenal switch.
We are an American College of Surgeons Bariatric Surgery Level 1A Center of Excellence. Our fellowship offers multiple educational opportunities outside the operating room, including access to an Accredited American College of Surgeons Education Institute, translational basic science laboratory, and high caliber specialty conferences.
Fellows typically participate in more than 250 bariatric cases during their year. We do not use suturing assist devices, which leads to unparalleled training in laparoscopic suturing. In addition, the fellow will be able to work with our high caliber general surgery residents as a teach assist on non-bariatric general surgical cases.
What You Can Expect
During your fellowship, you can expect to:
- Be encouraged to attend at least one professional development course offered through Tufts University School of Medicine. These courses can enhance your teaching and clinical research abilities.
- Have teaching responsibilities that include monthly Bariatric Journal Club presentations. You’ll also be responsible for the supervision of junior residents and medical students in skills training in our simulation center.
- Interact with junior residents and medical students on rounds and in the operating room.
- Spend two to three days in the operating room, one or two days in the clinic and one day on clinical research projects on a weekly basis.
- Participate in a weekly Bariatric Clinical Case Conference, GI Radiology Conference and Morbidity & Mortality Conference.
- Participate in monthly Grand Rounds and Bariatric Journal Club.
- Pursue academic work. We’ll support you with monthly meetings and provide a generous travel stipend that covers meetings where your work is accepted.
- There are no call requirements that go along with this fellowship.
Learn more about applying here.