Department of Anesthesiology and Interventional Pain Management
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center, a member of Lahey Health, is recruiting for a Fellow in Transplant Anesthesia. We are the busiest New England liver transplant center and an academic affiliate of Tufts University School of Medicine. The fellow will also participate in liver transplants at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center, a Harvard affiliated teaching hospital offering alternative approaches to anesthetic management of transplant patients. During this one year clinical fellowship the successful applicant will participate in approximately 150 liver transplants while learning from transplant-dedicated faculty members. This opportunity is open to applicants who have completed an ACGME approved Anesthesiology Residency and can obtain an unrestricted medical license in Massachusetts.
- Participate in all aspects of perioperative management of liver transplant patients, including invasive line placement, hemodynamic management, targeted transfusion, management of coagulopathy using thromboelastometry, transesophageal and transthoracic echocardiography, and veno-venous bypass.
- Participate in the anesthetic management of living donors.
- Participate in kidney transplants and major hepatobiliary procedures.
- Be actively involved in the multidisciplinary pre-operative assessment of transplant candidates through a dedicated Anesthesia Transplant Evaluation Clinic.
- Participate in transplant selection committee meetings.
The program can be individualized and tailored to meet special goals and needs, such as certification in basic perioperative TEE, blood bank and coagulation management, ICU care and expected organ donor management through the New England Organ Bank. At the end of the program the trainee will be proficient in the field of transplant anesthesiology. There is opportunity for research through dedicated non-clinical time.
Qualified candidates will also work as attending staff in the operating room and other anesthetizing locations for non-transplant procedures.
For more information please contact:
Florian Hackl, MD
Department of Anesthesiology
Lahey Hospital & Medical Center