Obtaining payment for health care services can sometimes be a daunting task. The "system" is extremely complex, with numerous health plan requirements, layers of government regulation, coverage issues, coinsurance amounts and rules about coordination of benefits. Navigating this web of requirements takes a partnership between you and your health care provider, Lahey Hospital & Medical Center.
Our commitment to you
- Bill your health plan, automobile or workers' compensation insurer for covered services before billing you (except for copays, coinsurance or deductibles known at the time of treatment).
- Make reasonable efforts to obtain referrals, authorizations and precertifications from your health plan.
- Work with you to help you understand your health plan coverage and out-of-pocket responsibility.
- Help you apply for the MassHealth, Commonwealth Care and Health Safety Net (Free Care) programs.
- Provide you with interest-free payment plans if you are uninsured or have large balances after insurance.
- Conduct business according to the principles that all Lahey employees aim to following: respect, caring, teamwork, excellence and commitment to personal best.
Your responsibility as our patient
We ask you to:
- Provide us with your health plan information.
- Tell us when a service is to be covered by a party other than your health plan (for example, by automobile insurance or workers' compensation).
- Know your insurance coverage and what your out-of-pocket expenses are.
- Keep us and your insurer up-to-date with your choice of primary care doctor.
- Keep us up-to-date with your personal information, including home address, employer information and telephone numbers.
- Be sure your health plan or primary care doctor has provided the necessary referrals and authorizations for your care.
- Pay your copay when you check in for your appointment.
- Promptly pay your coinsurance, deductible or other out-of-pocket responsibility.